June 17, 2012

Stuck in a book

I love to read.

I don't know if you knew this, but I have loved to read for a long time. Besides art, reading is the one thing I wish I could do more of. I use to get stuck in a book and not come out of the chair until I was done, take a book on a trip and read nearly the entire thing. What I don't need to tell you is that having kids changes everything. Now I read the labels, read 'What to expect the toddler years' and read (quickly skim) my monthly magazines. We have invested in a Nook Color, as well as the Nook reader for me and it is very well used. Don't get me wrong, I do have time to read like when I'm completely exhausted from my day but for some reason can't fall asleep I will read, or when I'm sitting alone in the Doctor's office I read, but not like I use to. Now, the only books I seem to read start to finish in no time flat are parenting books, or anything about potty training I can find online- more on that in a later post-.


I have just recently wanted more, I have wanted to find a book about how to raise children in the eyes of God, and how to stay spiritual myself. Like the quote 'a family who prays together, stays together'. I want my children to be raised knowing God is always there for you and loving him is nothing to be ashamed of.
So naturally, I decided to look in a book and headed to my local B&N (http://www.barnesandnoble.com).

After reminding myself that I left my husband and 2 screaming kids waiting in the car and I couldn't spend all day in B&N like I would like to, I found what I was looking for and got out as soon as possible (only 32 minutes this time, like some kid of record!).

This is the book I left with. It is titled '52 Things Kids Need from a Mom'. I am up to #12 on the list and my review thus far is that I LOVE it!

'In this book the author, Angela Thomas, draws on personal experience and biblical principles to help you raise healthy, responsible kids and establish strong family ties'.
What I like best, is that it is designed to be read in short parts with 2-3 pages per 'chapter' or  number on the list which is perfect for my busy schedule.


*My favorite line so far is in the beginning where Angela writes to all the readers before starting;

'Before you jump into the chapters, I just want to give you the pre-thing before the 52 things. This is the biggie that matters more than all the rest: Love
Love those kids with all your heart, soul and might. Love them through their mistakes. Love them in their changes. Love them when they're dorky. Love them when they are accomplished. Just open your heart and don't hold back... ever. Our children need one person on this earth who will love them fiercely, no matter what this life holds. That task has been assigned to you and me. So let us learn to love with a healthy love. A godly love. A mushy love. A powerful, transforming love.'
-Angela Thomas '52 Things Kids Need From A Mom'

Cliché but..I LOVE this! I also love in one of her chapters where she says she wants her kids to know they will never outgrow their mama's love. This is so very true to how I feel about my kiddos also. While she is speaking from a mother who has teenagers, she still does refer back to those moments of being a young mother (where I am today) that are absolutely touching the heart. I would highly recommend this book to all the mother's I know who are looking for a good read. Have you read any good books lately that you can recommend? I'd love to hear them!
Until next time, LOVE your kids and
Best wishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment