June 18, 2012

The Color Box



In an effort to keep my family more organized, my greatest challenge has been to keep our high traffic areas as neat as possible. Areas like the kitchen counter top, living room, and dining room table. The biggest one for me is our dinning room table. There are so many things that get set here, tossed here or placed here that don't get dealt with until it's dinner time or sometimes later.








One thing I am very particular about is Madilyn's coloring. I assume (hope!) that my 2 year old isn't the only 2 year old out there that makes an absolute disaster while coloring. I'm talking crayons and pencils across the entire table, ripped up pages out of coloring tablets, and every piece of 'identification paper/wrap thingy' on the color crayon has been removed. Seriously. Want proof? Check the pictures. I can't make this up.

see, VERY innocent


In her defense, the event of coloring starts as innocently as possible. She very neatly opens the $0.99 Tupperware box I purchased from Wal-Mart, takes out her books and tablets of choice, then she starts to pick her colors very seriously contemplating her next move. What colors will I be using today? Little Miss Predictable (like her mother) will probably choose the yellow first, then the orange. When all of a sudden. BAM! The tub is tipped over and the colors are all over the table.



 And then, she is at home. That is when she is so completely herself, with her crayons and colored pencils all over the place. It is so very interesting to me, because I have always been a neat person, but whenever I am deep into a drawing or painting there is stuff everywhere. The table is an absolute mess and I am always losing pencils and paint brushes. That must be where she gets it from! Look at that happy face, that is one very happy little girl! :-)



This Color Box is the best idea I believe I have had in a long time. $0.99 at Wal-Mart and look at all the use it gets! So much better than those boxes the color crayons come in that get ripped up or squished up and are hard to get all the pieces back in in the first place!

Now that I am home with more FUN time, I have decided to take on more fun projects, this first small project is giving the Color Box the 'beautifulness' it deserves. With some puffy paint I located in the Craft Bin and Maddy's beautiful art skills with the Orange crayon and here you have it! the completed Color Box. It very neatly stacks in a cupboard, or where we keep it hidden in the storage on the basement stairs for quick access, and there you have it! Fun in a box!












Now the only stresses I have at coloring time are trying to come up with new ways to explain to Maddy why the white color crayon doesn't work on white paper. Honestly, she keeps telling me it is broken and gets very frustrated; I have no clue what to say to that one anymore. Might have to pull out some colored construction paper to show her it truly does work. Do I hear another fun project? ;-)

Take care, and best wishes in your colorful endeavors!

No comments:

Post a Comment