June 22, 2012

Book Review #1

52 Things Kids Need From A Mom by Angela Thomas

 It is so bitter sweet to finish a book. As soon as you really get into it is when it seems to end. I have really enjoyed reading this book '52 Things Kids Need From A Mom' by Angela Thomas. While reading I like to highlight favorite passages, flip the corner of the page and mark  favorite things with a post-it.

The majority of the things I marked in this book would pertain to me if my children were older. I would definitely recommend this book to someone who has teenagers and is having a hard time communicating or understanding them. This book has given me plenty of pointers to raise a teenager and things you can do to raise them right. Being that I have small children it has given me some insight into what to expect, how to not take offense and love them anyways, and some parenting tips for any stage.

The biggest thing I took from this book was #20: Kids need their mom to give grace-filled consequences. I (like every parent with a toddler or any age I'm sure) struggles with communicating effectively when the child is doing something wrong. Here is a clip from the book that I really enjoyed; 

'When the children were little, I remember hearing Dr. James Dobson say, 'Mama, don't just shout an instruction to your kids. Get up, go across the room, and address the behavior.' After the fourth child, I realized why Dr. Dobson had said that. When you are exhausted, it's so much easier to stay where you are and just bark at the kids. And the sound of your voice rarely accomplishes anything. Even when you turn up the volume and say the same thing over and over. It really takes a commitment to get up, go to the child, and either remove them from their misbehavior or look them in ht eyes to give a consequence. Going to where my child was making a wrong choice usually gave them a few extra seconds to decide to obey, and it also gave me a few seconds to choose grace-filled words.' 
-52 Things Kids Need From A Mom by Angela Thomas

I believe this quote speaks volume to a parent with young children. Another chapter of this book I really enjoyed was #13: Kids need their mom to learn their unique love language. Love languages are different ways a person can express and interpret love. These different ways are: words of affirmation, quality time, receiving gifts, acts of service and physical touch. I have learned that it will help you greatly once you know each child's love language. If you want to know more you can pick up the book yourself, it is definitely a good read!

*Another favorite quote of mine can be found on my previous blog when just picking up the book here.

One thing that is communicated throughout the book is that you need to want your child to become not what you want them to be, but what God wants them to become. This message speaks volumes to all parents. A friend of mine posted this picture and I believe it is exactly what this book wants you to remember at all times, as well as something I have taken away from it.

I would definitely recommend this book to mothers of children of all ages looking to make a lifelong difference in their child's life. 

Best wishes and happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment