June 27, 2012

Book Review #3

A Stolen Life A Memoir by Jaycee Dugard

Ever since Jaycee's book was released roughly a year ago I have wanted to read it. I have put off reading it this long because I was struggling and wondering if I really wanted to read it. I had a pretty good idea of what was done to Jaycee while she was kidnapped for 18 years of captivity but I didn't really want to hear all the disgusting details. Out of respect for Jaycee I decided it would be a 'must read' but also a 'must read quickly'. I managed to finish this book in 2 days. All I can say is to make sure you read all the way to the end, and not let those first stories turn you off from reading the rest of the book.

When I was younger and I first read 'The Notebook' by Nicholas Sparks my mom had read it before me and managed to paper clip, and for good measure post-it closed the pages of the sex scene. She said I didn't need to know the details of what happened so she had closed them shut. While reading 'A Stolen Life' I had wished someone had closed the pages and just gave me a 'you don't need to know the details'  answer.

Other than the parts of the book that I am sure have disgusted many people, Jaycee does tell a very good story. She admits in the beginning that her writing jumps around a lot, but that she was merely writing how her mind was thinking of things.

If you are unfamiliar with Jaycee's story you can follow these links:
wikipedia's interpretations of the event.  
abc's interview with Jaycee after.

Overall, I would recommend this book to anyone that is familar with Jaycee's story. Although there are some 'gross' parts, it is unbelievable to hear how her life is going now. She discusses being found, and their first moments after being saved. I must admit the book did bring a few tears to my eyes after reading her reuniting with her mother. What a nightmare for any parent to have anything like this happen and nothing short of a blessing to have your child home 18 years later. I am very happy to hear Jaycee's outlook on life, and her ideals of her own family. I wish her and her family the very best on their new life together.

Until next time, best wishes and happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment